Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Call me Jackie Joyner

     For the next 21 days I'm on a "detox".  It's nothing drastic (I don't have to put asparagus in a blender or anything), just cutting out gluten, diary (milk and I have never been friends anyways), processed foods, and of course. . . anything white (FOOD people!! white FOOD).

     Dr. Josh warned me that I should encourage the person I live with to convert to this food detox as well or else the food battle at home would be considerably more difficult.  Nah. . . .I got this (there may or may not have been some snapping with attitude involved as well). This is my journey. We didn't need to diet together.  I could sooner imagine us as one of those couples that wear matching t-shirts, shorts and fanny packs while playing shuffle board on a Carnival Cruiseline trip. Plus, I know how much my boyfriend loves doughnuts.  To take them away from him would just be . . . . let's put it like this: I'd rather pry a steak away from a hungry lion. Sidenote:  He's skinny! He can eat anything he wants and not gain a pound. Mother Nature has an "interesting" sense of humor, right? Insert eye roll.

   Anyways, I have been eating my fruits, veggies and chicken for two whole days and dutifully ignoring the pizza, ice cream, candy, soft pretzels. . . . Wait, where was I going with this? (she said as she wiped the saliva from her chin).  Oh yeah, I was resisting and doing AWESOME with it.  I didn't feel tempted or anything.  Maybe it's because of all the people on "Team Kai" rooting me on, but I didn't feel tempted.  That is, until the macaroni salad incident.  One of my favorite things since 2nd grade, my boyfriend brought some home as a late night snack.  I caught myself staring at him as he took a bite and tried to look away, but it was too late . . . I was busted.  Ever the sweetheart, he held out his fork with a big giant bite and offered some to me.  I felt like a junkie being offered drugs - Just one hit bite won't hurt. I can stop after that one hit bite.  I clamped my lips shut like a child resisting taking medicine and shook my head no.  I can't! Must. Resist.  I shut my eyes to block out the visual of the yummy goodness in front of me.  A tad over-dramatic but whatever.  . . Point is, I did not partake!!!! Call me Jackie Joyner b/c I just cleared a HUGE hurdle.


   I also answered one of the major questions that has plagued me since embarking on this journey: Can I still do this (and succeed) if all the foods that tempt me are still in the house?? The answer is YES.  And part of it has to do with the fact I have you to come to and report all of my woes, failures and successes. When I want nachos so bad I can't see straight, I'm going to run and tell you.  When I have that dream (again) where Oreos and potato chips are doing the opening dance sequence from West Side Story. There's a lot of snapping and clapping and all sorts of shenanigans going on . . . but I digress. But I'm going to confide in you.  I'm debating on keeping a food journal for you to see too.  But probably not.  That probably goes under that category of  TMI, plus, like I've said: What I need every day is different that what you'll need. Plus, I can't STAND blogs like one the chick on E! News, Giuliana Something, has. She posts what she eats (or rather doesn't) on a daily basis.  This chick eats next to nothing a day and her food journal blog is somehow promoted as "healthy living".  Not gonna hold back when I say that she, and people like her, are partially to blame for the next generation of anorexics. I'm serious. Wow, the view from this soapbox is making me dizzy.  I'm going to get down now.  Anywho . . . I don't think telling you about what exactly I'm eating really matters. Its that I'm keeping it healthy is what's really important and will hopefully encourage you to join me on eating as healthy as you can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment