Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Jane!! Get Me Off This Crazy Thing!

Place: Glenwood Avenue Rapid Fitness
Day: 2 days ago (sorry, I'm behind)
Time: Freakin early (for me) - around 8:30 am

While Brian, Head of PT,  and Dr. Josh are going to do their part to get me to my goal, I have to do my part too.  Which means, I have to work out, unsupervised, on the days that I'm not with a trainer (yikes!).  When I was in great shape, this was something so easy I didn't even think about it.  But now, I am LITERALLY chanting high school cheers to myself to get motivated to get out of my bed, then the door, then the car.  G. . . G-O. . . LET'S GO!!! So hard to leave my comfy bed!  James Bond, my dog, is confused as to why there's so much commotion at this hour.

I was ALWAYS active growing up.  In high school and a bit of college I was really into cheerleading (don't know how it is where you're from, but where I'm from, it was HARD) and for most of my 20s, going to the gym was a 2 hour, rigorous ordeal.  Now, just the idea of doing 30 minutes is giving me butterflies.

I love, love, love the cardio set up at this gym.  They have these LONG rows of tredmills, stairclimbers, elliptical, etc.  There are enough to where you don't have to run next to someone (unless you want to) and hear them sing to Olivia Newton John at the top of their lungs (you know who you are, Sir). Personal space is not an issue.

I try to delay the inevitable running by stretching. . . stretching. . . and more stretching.  Finally, with no more muscles to stretch I press "Start".  I have begun.  First 3 minutes I warmed up by walking and listening to some good old Britney (I admit it).  I have these songs programmed in my iPod that are specifically for the tredmill (Last time used: August 2008).  It's full of high energy mixes that aren't your standard radio play songs. Outside of the gym they would probably be obnoxious to listen to, but for one reason or another, they get me going.  For the next 30 minutes, they are my lifeline to staying on this contraption.

First test: Running at a 6.0.  In the old days, this would have been a trot for me, but after only two or three minutes I can feel the sweat running down my face. The battle is on. I alternate running and walking for the next 27 minutes.  My goal was to do 5 minutes running with 2 minute walking, but it didn't exactly work out that way.  It was more like 3 minutes running with 6 minutes walking but . . . . at least I didn't give up.  And I wanted to.  Holy cow did I want to.  Another cheer entered my head: BE AGGRESSIVE! BE-BE
AGGRESSIVE! B-E-A-GG-RE-SS-I-V-E!!!!


Its hard not to think back to a time when you were more fit and running seemed effortless. In case anyone was wondering, pride doesn't taste that great and should be followed by a breath mint.  But I did finish. In fact, I even sprinted for about 45 seconds!!! I couldn't help but have a George Jetson moment during my final 45 seconds on the tredmill - "Jane!!! Get me off this crazy thing!!". But I'll take my victories where I can get them.  And sprinting for 45 seconds is more sprinting than I've done in a LONG time! I shall toast my victory with a glass of champagne . . .bottle of beer. . .big gulp of water! yeay (insert sarcasm)

After my battle with the tredmill, I see the Head of PT, Brian, coming towards me to give me a High 5.  Can't.  Lift.  Arms. "WHAT'S UP?!?!? Great job over there!" I want to respond, but I am still desperate for air, so I only managed a thumbs-up.  "I have such an exciting plan for you! I've been telling people about your plan to get back into shape and a lot of the trainers want to help so . . . . you're going to be training with A LOT of them!"

WHACHU TALKIN BOUT BRIAN?!?!?!?!?!?! (RIP Gary Coleman)

"Yeah, each week you're going to be challenged by a new trainer! You are going to get the ULTIMATE Rapid experience. We're really going to push your body to the limit!" So there it is.  Team Kai just got a lot bigger.

The only thing I can think to say is this: If you're looking for a company to invest in . . . i recommend Tiger Balm.  Because I am about to make their stock go sky high.

No comments:

Post a Comment