Powered By Blogger

Friday, August 13, 2010

Break Week!

Week 6: Break week!


   Since I have spent so much time recapping my personal drama, I've neglected to tell you about what happened last week, fitness-wise.  After 5 trainers (Larry, Jenn, Bryan, Jeramie, and Fabian) I was in need of a break from training sessions.  I am MUCH stronger and healthier than I was just a month ago but my body was screaming for a "time out".

  I didn't want to take the week off and do absolutely nothing.  I read somewhere that it takes FIVE weeks to make a habit.  That means that I've literally just made working out a habit.  It just started feeling more awkward to stay AWAY from the gym than to go.  I don't want to lose all of the mental progress I've made.  So, I decided to take advantage of some of the classes that the gym had to offer.

  The first one I wanted to try was RPM (aka Spin/ Cycling class). For those who don't know what it is, RPM/Spin/Cycle classes are cardio classes at gyms across the world where people get on stationary bikes, pedal like they're being chased by the Boogy Man even though they are headed nowhere, and sweat from every pore in their entire body. For fun. I've avoided those types of classes for 10 years.  While all of my friends at the Equinox Gym in NY (shout out to the Rique Uresti kickboxing crew! Ha-ay!!) were spinning their butts off (literally), I watched from the sidelines.  My issues with bikes (to review: I hear the Wicked Witch of the West music every time I pedal on a bike) kept me from trying it.  But I'm determined to take cycling OFF of the NGH list (See: http://www.kz-getfitordietryin.blogspot.com/2010/07/ngh.html) and try something outside of my comfort zone. 


   Plus, the gym owner's wife (who looks like a red-headed Barbie, by the way), said that she lost most of her pregnancy weight (She's popped TWO babies out of that perfect body) within the first month of returning to gym by adding Spin Classes into her workout regimen.  SOLD! Sign me up! 


   Starting a new aerobics class feels like starting a new school in January.  While you are new, no one else is. Everyone else knows each other and they know what they're doing.  It's so easy to want to slip out of the door and flee for the comforts of your car.  But it's only awkward for about 5 minutes. If you're ever in a new aerobics class, I highly encourage you to raise your hand say "I'm new! Can you help me?".  Especially if the objects used in such aerobics class have the potential to really bruise your Southern lady parts, if you get my drift (damn you bike seat. Damn you!!!).


  In my first spin class the instructor, Heather, taught me how to line up my bike so that it's the right height for me.  When you first sit on it, it ain't comfy.  I'll tell you that much.  But I will admit, the feeling does go away.  But I'm still going to invest in a gel seat for my bike.  Now, I've done more than my share of step classes and kickboxing classes but THIS workout is unreal.  It's not complicated in movements (no 8-counts, no grapevines) but It. Is. Tough.  My entire body was sweating.  I realize I'm behind in the times with this workout trend, but if you haven't tried it. .  .. try it three times.  It will take two times for your crotch to stop screaming at you so the third time is when you will really start enjoying it.  Plus, you can burn 400-600 calories in an hour! So far, I've taken class with Chris and Heather, both awesome.  I don't know if all people who take RPM/ Spin are like the people who take the class at my gym but folks (FOLKS?? Wow, I'm really picking up this Southern lingo) were whoopin' and hollarin' and supporting each other! It was like a big party! So much fun, that I almost forgot about my bruised lady parts. . . . almost.


   I also took a "Body Flow" class. Body flow is a blend of yoga, tai chi and Pilates.  I love me some Pilates.  When I was more financially care-free, I took Pilates at Pilates Plus in Hollywood (check it out if you're in Hollywood: http://www.pilatesplushbv.com/index.html)  but I've never been a Yogi.  I just can't bring myself to rest my body and mind long enough to get through a class.  Luckily, the movement in this class is faster than a typical yoga class.  It combined "adult contemporary" music (you know, like the kind of music you hear at the dentist) and no one was asking me to "meditate with my third eye" (Dear Yoga instructors across America: It is impossible to relax with you telling me I need to visualize a third eye in my head.  I do not care if this is spiritual and not literal.  It is nasty.  Please adjust your sessions accordingly. Love, Kai).  It was yoga moves to some up-beat music (Read: NO ENYA IN THE WHOLE HOUR!).  THIS I could handle. Did I mention the class was taught by my boss?? At first I was skeptical to take a class by the person who signs my paycheck (If I didn't do well, would she take away my new raise??) but I'm very happy that I went. Thanks Renee. Ummm . . . . If I say it was awesome like 100 more times, ya think I can get another raise?

   My Yogi LA friends have often told me that stretching the body can release pockets of energy that release emotions and out of nowhere you find yourself laughing or crying.  I don't know what the medical community thinks about this but WOW did that happen to me.  One moment I'm leaning back stretching my core, the next minute I'm getting choked up and trying to wipe my tears before anyone could see. They saw. It was like the popping of a huge, emotional zit (sorry . . . best analogy I could think of.  Sorry if you were eating).  All of the stress and emotion that's been building up in my personal life decided to manifest in the middle of class.  But, it's ok.  Clearly it needed to come out.  Cheaper than a therapy session THAT'S for sure!

  It has not escaped me that six weeks ago when my body was begging me for a change, it could have meant several things.  I don't think I could handle what I'm now going through (being newly single and all) without having some sort of outlet for my emotions.  It's as if my subconscious was trying to prepare me for this all along.  Now, since my subconscious is so intuitive I have one question I'd like to ask it: WHY WILL YOU NOT TELL ME SOME WINNING LOTTO NUMBERS!!!!!!!!

  I hope you will try something new this week, even if you're stressed or going through a hard time.  In fact, ESPECIALLY if you are stressed or going through a hard time.  I think that's a good note to end on.

No comments:

Post a Comment